Fridges consume a large portion of your homes energy. To make sure it's running efficienlty here are a few tips -
- Make sure the fridge seals are in good order. Test -place a piece of paper half way under the seals and close the fridge. If you can pull the paper out easily you might need to adjust the hinges, or replace the seal.
- A 5 or 6 star fridge will save up to 4.5 tonnes of greenhouse gasses and anywhere up to $450 over it's lifetime.
- Allow hot food to cool down before putting it in the fridge, but don't let it sit at room temperature for too long.
- Avoid over loading the fridge or freezer - try to leave about 20% free space for air circulation and maximum efficiency.
- Cover liquids and cling wrap foods stored in the fridge. Uncovered foods and drinks release moisture and make the compressor work harder.
- Locate your fridge in a cool spot, not some where it's exposed to sunlight or heat.
- Don't let the kids window shop for minutes at a time with the door open. The fridge will use extra energy to cool back down.